On this special edition of the Pro Wrestling Radio podcast I talk about my favorite wrestling territory of all-time, Memphis Wrestling. I am joined by Memphis historian and author Mark James as we go back in time and talk about all of the stars, promos, hot angles, and memorable moments from the legendary promotion. Mark talks about his new book Rags Paper & Pins which he co-authored with Jim Cornette. Taped July 24, 2013.
In addition to the book we talk…
– Jerry Lawler and what made him so good
– Jimmy Hart and the great managers in Memphis
– Memphis 1982 (Mark wrote a book on this)
– Austin Idol and why he never went national
– The Fabulous Ones and other great tag teams
– Who owns the Memphis wrestling library
– Randy Savage and the promotional war with the Poffos
– The impact of Randy Savage coming into the promotion
– Jerry Lawler vs. Bill Dundee and what made it so good, behind the scenes heat, their dynamic
– The Billy and Buddy Show
– Vince McMahon’s heel run in Memphis
– The Mario Galento incident
– Dutch Mantell in the WWE today
– Robert Fuller and the Stud Stable
– Why Bruiser Brody didn’t wrestle more in Memphis
– Jerry Lawler’s planned NWA title run
– The planned Elvis Presley vs. Lawler feud
– & much more…
If you like old school wrestling and/or Memphis in particular, you’ll really enjoy this podcast. Check back for more specials focusing on old-school territories in the future. For more information on Mark’s book check out his website here.
Subscribe to the Pro Wrestling Radio podcast on iTunes.com by clicking here.
© 2013, Pro Wrestling Radio. All rights reserved.